Saturday, June 16, 2012

Birthday Party

I decided to do a birthday party for the twins over graduation weekend thinking family would be in town and also to be able to celebrate with our Blacksburg friends since we would be gone by there actual birthday. So, since I'm probably a typical mom wanting to throw a party for her first child (in my case, children's) first birthday, I had to fit it into a VERY busy weekend already. 

I searched Pinterest for inspiration and found lots of cute ideas for either a boys party or a girls party, but not much for a co-ed party. So I decided to go with my new favorite thing...BANNERS and play off of that for the party decorations. I started seeing a lot of sewing onto paper while searching Pinterest and so I decided to sew banners on the invitations. I made a few extra with just lines on them just in case I threw another party on their actual birthday. I LOVED how they turned out! I got lots of inspiration for flags on cupcakes during my search so my mom helped me make these out of fabric and toothpicks. I didn't get a picture but I got aqua and yellow plates/napkins in several different patterns. I bought party hats but embellished Mae's with a tissue paper flower and Luke's with a tissue paper border. You can see them in the family picture below.

With it being such a busy time for all of us, those who could come, came, and we had a really fun time celebrating. We were going to do the party at the river (a place we have spent countless day while living in Blacksburg) but the weather was calling for severe storms so we changed gears and had it at a park close by our house. It was a great decision b/c it started pouring while we were finishing up the party.  Also great b/c of all the packing and graduation events going on. It just made it a little simpler having it close to home.

The twins actually turn 1 this coming Friday. We are planning a very low key party with my family we now live close to. I'm excited for the cousins to get to celebrate together. I'm using the same decor, plates, and napkins b/c I had left overs. Looking forward to one more day of celebration and remembering that crazy day 1 year ago when they entered the world 6 weeks early. I might be shedding a few tears, happy tears that is.

 Kids loved the cupcakes. I had plans to make "healthy" cakes for them (why do they need sugar just b/c they are turning 1), but with being so busy and my house mostly all packed up I quickly ran to Kroger for a box mix. Oh well, one day of sugar won't kill right?
Friends and family that were able to come.

3 comments:

  1. CUTE! Aww! It turned out so great! I love all of the details =)

    I miss not having you around - Thankful for the blog world - I am glad you are finding time to fill us in on the happenings up there!

    Love to you all and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Luke & Mae!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I've been enjoying these updates!! Soon I'll just be seeing you in person(=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the updates! I'm really enjoying reading about ya'lls big events. Thanks for sharing. The birthday party looked like it was a blast - congrats on making it an entire year, Mom :)

    ReplyDelete