Monday, August 13, 2012

DIY Lamp Shade Cover

I had this pretty plain lamp that I wanted to spruce up for the babies room so I searched around on the old web and found some inspiration to cover my lamp with fabric! It's really easy and really fast!

Here's what you'll need:
-fabric (amount would depend on the size of your shade)
-hot glue gun
-some sort of tracing paper (wax paper, news paper, parchment paper)
-scissors
-spray paint (if you want to change the color of the base)

1.Trace the lamp shade on paper (I used wax paper), cut it out and then wrap it around the shade just to make sure it works. 2. Lay it on the fabric. I put some painters tape to hold in place while I cut. Leave an extra inch or so on either side as you cut so there is fabric to tuck under the shade. 3. Cut the fabric!

There it is, all cut out.

4. Now wrap the fabric around the shade to double check that it will work before yous tart gluing. You want to make sure there is extra fabric on the top and bottom to be able to wrap under the shade. See how the fabric is taller and longer then the actual shade?

5. Start by hot gluing along the shade seam and then put very small amounts of glue along the bottom and top edge as you go around. When you get back to the seam fold the last bit of fabric you have left under and glue to create a nice finished edge.

When I glued under the top part of the shade I cut little slits in the fabric so that it would lay nicely inside. You can sort of see it in this picture.

Complete
 If you want to spray paint the base, just take it outside and tape off any parts you don't want painted. Let it dry completely and then attach the shade.

There it is in the babies room.

2 comments: